Hurricanes and Your Septic System
Hurricane season is upon us and severe weather could be just around the corner. How does this affect your septic system?
Flooding and high winds can adversely affect your system. Here are some tips to guard your system against damage.
Secure your system.
- Check your risers or septic tank covers if they are exposed to make sure they are secure to ensure that storm water cannot get into your septic system.
- Check your electrical pump connections and make sure the water cannot penetrate to avoid damage during a flood
- It is never a good idea to park anything over your drainfield, but be sure not to park automobiles, trailers, or other objects on the drainfield during wet weather, as this can cause damage to the drainfield pipes.
Conserve water and use it sparingly in an emergency.
- When there is severe flooding in your area, your well water may be at risk from the sewage in standing water. Be aware of any boil-water warnings in your area and make sure you follow.
- Have a supply of bottled water on hand to ensure you have ample supply of fresh drinking water during and after the storm.
- Limit your water use during the storm to only essential water use. Put off laundry, dishwashing and showering as long as possible. Fill your tub with water beforehand for use in flushing the toilet if you lose power and your well pump is not working.
It May Be Wise to have your system inspected after a flood.
- Hurricanes can mean major flooding in your area. You might want to have your septic system inspected for for any damage from standing water or fallen objects on the pipes.
- Check electrical components to ensure there has not been any damage to your unit.
Loss of power is always an issue during the hurricane and days following depending on the severity of the storm. This could affect your sump pump in your basement and cause flooding. A backup generator is always a great idea to handle and pump out excess water and keep the essential systems working in your home, such as refrigeration and a well pump to access water.
Septic Preservation Services are experts at storm damage recovery and prevention. Call them at 877-378-4279 for all your storm related questions and anything concerning your septic system. Visit www.septicpreservation.com